Office space in Kendall Square, Cambridge is extremely desirable. Many high tech firms are drawn to the area due to its close proximity to the MIT campus on the south side of Main Street, as well as the opportunity to be located in the midst of their competition. In fact, Kendall Square is home to more tech and biotechnology companies per square mile than anywhere else in the world.
In addition to MIT, office space in Cambridge puts users close to a cluster of non-profit groups and think tanks, as well as allowing access to Boston’s universities, global finance market and a range of professional industries including tourism, publishing, medicine and biotechnology.
Kendall Square office space has become so sought-after that many of the start-ups and young tech companies which helped to establish the area as an innovation center are being priced out.
A high price per square foot and low vacancy rate make leasing office space in Kendall Square a challenge. Companies are attracted by the opportunity to be physically close to other successful firms, and are willing to pay a premium for it. Workers gravitate to areas that have the most jobs; so to attract the best talent companies chose to situate themselves near their competition.
Although MIT plays a key roll in influencing the human make up of the square, Kendall also offers a wealth of unique coffee shops, bars, and restaurants. Kendall Square is also home to an independent cinema, which shows obscure, independent films as well as other large Hollywood movies. East Cambridge is in the midst of a growth spurt; 16 new restaurants have opened since 2011, and nearly 1,000 units of housing have been built and occupied in the past six years.
Kendall Square/East Cambridge Office Space – Quick Stats
The East Cambridge/Kendall Square office submarket is comprised of:
• 50 Class A buildings, for a total of 11,285,849 square feet of office space
• 30 Class B buildings, for a total of 2,163,716 square feet of office space
• 46 Class C buildings, for a total of 1,443,713 square feet of office space
Notable Companies with Offices in Kendall Square, Cambridge
From NASDAQ stalwarts to the hottest start-ups, office space near Kendall Square is some of the most sought-after in the Boston market. Here are just a few recognizable companies with office space in Kendall Square:
• Biogen Idec.
• Draper Laboratory
• IBM Research
• Idenix Pharmaceuticals
• Microsoft Research
• Mitsubishi Electric Research
• SAP Labs Inc.
Commercial Real Estate in Kendall Square is readily accessible via the Kendall Square station on the Red Line. The MBTA Red Line provides direct access to South Station, which serves as the hub for multiple commuter rail lines.
In addition, office space in East Cambridge is also accessible via the Lechmere Green Line subway station. The Green Line connects with the commuter rail and Orange Subway Line at North Station, just one stop from Lechmere.
Hotels in Kendall Sq.
• Marriot Cambridge – Two Cambridge Center, 50 Broadway, Cambridge, MA, 02142; 855-239-9485
• The Kendall Hotel – 350 Main Street, Cambridge, MA, 02142 United States; 866-539-0036
• The Residence Inn by Marriot – 6 Cambridge Ctr, Cambridge, MA, 02142; 855-239-9485
• Le Meridien Cambridge – MIT – 20 Sidney Street, Cambridge, MA, 02139 United States; 866-539-0036
• Oakwood at Third Square – 285 Third Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142-1115; 877.902.0832